Thursday, September 3, 2009

Head Full Of Ether.

There are always going to be conflicting schools of thought, in regards to any matter of significance. Republicans battle Democrats over everything, ranging from universal health care to trivial matters of ethical one-upmanship. Parents and children wage constant wars, while still finding time to love one another. Conflict and resolution is ingrained in us. With this in mind, I come into this experience in the Writing Center a little nervous about what to expect. I can be an overly dynamic personality at times, finding myself consumed with passion for the things I enjoy. Somewhere down the line, this fact could prove to be relatively interesting in regards to interpersonal relations. However, after my first couple of classes in 303, along with my very first trip to the Writing Center, I feel confident my eccentricities will be channeled in a positive matter during this experience.
One of my biggest pet peeves in life, is when the concept of being an intellectual goes hand in hand with the art of being ineffectual. A lot of the time, there is a disconnect between theory and practice. Reading every book in the world does not prepare you for the rigors of real life. One thousand self-help manuals will never, ever, lessen the blow of losing a loved one, facing a serious illness, or anything of this respect. It takes the wonderful lessons learned through trial and error, mixed with the willingness to obtain knowledge, to overcome the obstacles of our reality. Walking in to this situation, I was very afraid of facing a group of peers distracted by the task of being intelligent. Yet, through rousing conversations and the like, I am starting to realize this preconception was a complete error on my part.
First of all, I am quite pleased to see the passion which people are attacking this learning process with. It is absolutely refreshing to see a group of budding professionals, pushing themselves to analyze and question what is being taught. This inquisitive nature is not just confined to our classroom. Walking into the Writing Center for the first time, I caught a glimpse of why this group of students seems to be so special. Everybody I met seemed like a self-starter, relaxed enough to joke around, yet constantly up to the task of helping students. Also, every veteran, between helping students and conversing, was (gasp) reading! I don't care if it was homework or a cheap mystery novel. The simple fact that everyone had their nose in a book, showcased love, or at least a deep admiration, for the craft of writing. I have not been able to sit in on a consultation yet, however, from what I overheard, this concept of literary respect carries over. The questions seemed to have a genuine purpose and care to them, which is very comforting to see. With such a small amount of time being spent in there so far, I can't draw any real conclusions quite yet. However, I feel like I am supposed to be filled with hundreds of questions at this point. With this being said, I am ready and willing to attack the next semester with an open mind. And, I probably will have an open, flapping mouth as well.

2 comments:

  1. Justin--
    As always, you leave me with many dizzing thoughts in my head. My original thought was that all of our time in the Center should be spent on Center-related activities (even if it is just disinfecting our space). But your observation, and respective appreciation for, the veterans reading in the Center made me wonder--is it a worthwhile use of our time for our consultants to spend their "free" time in the Center reading? As you suggest, this may present the sense of appreciation for reading and writing, and I'm rethinking my own concept of what a "Center-reltated" activity is. Lots to think on.

    Thanks, as always, Justin for your thoughts here.

    mk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was apparently signed in as Joy. But it's me--I swear.

    mk

    ReplyDelete